Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chicken in a Pot

Apologies for the wall of text.

One rainy day my parents and I decided to go to a deli for dinner. Apparently all the Jews in our area had decided the same thing because it was packed. We gave the hostess our name and sat by the door to wait. We were looking over the menu hungrily when a man came in with his service dog. At first I didn't see the dog and when it started sniffing the menu I was holding, it startled me. My mom in Russian: "Disgusting! People bringing their dogs into a restaurant!" Good thing that at least she said it in Russian. I explained to her that it was a service dog and she settled down. We finally got seated and it was obvious that the restaurant was under-staffed. When we didn't get pickles within the first 3 minutes of sitting down, my dad angrily called the poor waitress over and demanded, "Where are our pickles?!" The waitress brought the pickles but neither I nor my mom wanted any. Dad: "Then why did I get pickles?!" We were starving by this point, so we ordered an appetizer and then my dad and I ordered this thing called Chicken in a Pot. I remember it costing about $14 and the description said something about white meat chicken in a potato stew with chicken noodle soup. This didn't seem like an insane price or an outrageous description, so we each ordered one. The waitress hesitated, "Are you sure...?" Dad and I confidently nodded. Apparently, Chicken in a Pot consists of a WHOLE CHICKEN in a pot with about 4 potatoes, AND a giant bowl of chicken noodle soup. The waitress couldn't even put all our food on our table, so we were spilling over onto the adjacent table. This caught the attention of everyone in our dining area, and one old Jewish woman yelled out "Send it to Haiti!" (This was pretty soon after the 2010 Haiti earthquake). Dad and I tried our best to eat as much as we could but we didn't even get through half of it. We asked for to-go containers, but the restaurant didn't have ones big enough. We had to rip apart the chicken, and dole our food out into quart sized containers. We had about 2 plastic bags full of to-go containers. My mom and I could barely stop laughing the whole time. It was a thoroughly embarrassing but extremely hilarious evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment