Monday, May 9, 2011

April Showers Bring May Abortions

Happy Day After Mother's Day! If the title of this post offends you, most likely the rest of the post will too.

For those brave souls who are still with me, when my grandparents and even my parents were growing up in the Soviet Union, it was difficult to get any type of birth control where they lived. They were also very poor, so that didn't help. In any case, the most viable form of birth control was abortions. It wasn't a big political, religious issue like it is in the US. People just did it. And suffice it to say that I could have had many more siblings than I do now. In fact, people sometimes ask me if I was a mistake, due to the large age gap between my brother and me. I say no, I was a, "Let's keep this one!" And somehow every single Mother's Day, this wonderful topic of conversation comes up. We discuss how many everyone has had, I make some generally crude comments, everyone gets mad, and we drop the subject.

I had some really high hopes for yesterday, but for once, no dice!

No comments:

Post a Comment