Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother Is Always Right, Part I

I wanted to take my mom out for dinner on Mother's Day but I didn't know where to take her. In my family, a lot of politics go into deciding where to eat dinner. Mom is really picky and likes to make a martyr out of herself. If you suggest somewhere she doesn't want to go, she will still go and half-pretend to like it. Then if you ask her why she didn't tell you she didn't want to go there, she will say, "Well YOU wanted to go!" In other words, she will turn it around and make it your fault, even though you asked her where she wanted to go in the first place. This then allows her to say things like, "I always do what you want to do" or, "I do everything for you, and you are unappreciative!"

Side note: Stuff like this also happens when, for example, people are smoking near her. She will make a big show of coughing or covering her nose, but if you ask her if she wants to move, she will say no. Or if she is cold, she will make a big show of shivering or wrapping herself up in whatever she can find, but if you ask her if she wants to move she will say no.

So this time I was really determined to find out where she wanted to go for dinner. After all it was Mother's Day, so I could use that card and she would have to respond. I called her and asked where she would like to go and she responds, "I will go wherever you will be. You know that I just want to be with you." How does she manage to guilt me even when I'm doing something nice for her?!?!

Then I called my dad, the more rational of the two. I asked him where he thought mom would like to go for dinner and he responds, "You know that mama will go wherever you are." Good lord, all this nonsense just to figure out where to go for dinner! In any case, all's well that ends well and we went to a local sushi bar that both my parents like. Jeez!

No comments:

Post a Comment