Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Orphanage

When I was young, maybe 7 or 8, maybe younger, my parents used to make me keep a plastic bag of old, ripped clothes and shoes in my closet. The reason for this was that if I was bad, they would make me get it out of the closet and threaten to take me to an orphanage. This would usually result in me crying my eyes out and begging forgiveness, even if I thought I had done nothing wrong, and my parents allowing me to stay home as long as I promised to behave. I didn't really do anything horrible as a kid. Maybe not wanting to wash the dishes or bugging my mom to let me go to a friend's house who she didn't like. I do remember them often saying that I was talking back and being rude to my mom. Really, how rude can a naive 7 year old who doesn't say curse words be?

One time they took it to another level. I don't even remember what I did, but they made me take the orphanage bag out and actually put me in the car and drove me around the neighborhood. I was not good with directions (being that I was 7), so I didn't realize they were just driving in circles. I thought they were taking me to the orphanage. I remember being really scared and screaming and crying hysterically until they took me back home. I'm really surprised I ended up as ok as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment